Saturday, July 25, 2009

Kindness Act

I admire people whom dare to speak up,people whom are not afraid to speak up.
Though im a gutsy person, but face with such situation i simply do not know how to react.

Was on a train heading to work yesterday. Upon reachin Lavender, i saw an old frail lady, about 80 years of age(she look my grandma), walked in slowly through the door with a middle aged women, without a second thought i stood up and give up my seat for her.

Suddenly, the middle-aged women start pointing at the man that was seating in the 'priority seat' corner opposite me and start bellowing, "Hey How can you be so inconsiderate, u saw her and yet u remain in ur seat. U know ur seat is reserve for old people and yet you are so selfish, your heart is so black" casting a nasty look at the guy. With that, she turn around, gave me a gentle smile and thank me for my seat. I smiled back but lowered my head,felt so shy at the moment, but i can't help it, everyone in the cabin seems to be looking at us, i shifted my eyes and tried to not look at them. The man, oh well, he just turn and look elsewhere n pretended nothin happen. Such Disgusting Behavior.

I salute the lady for having the guts to speak up, her outburst is totally understandable. Becoz when it has to do with ur own love ones, ur sense of protection tends to be really strong.

My seat was right beside the priority seat, but beside me was an aged old malay lady, so it doesn't make sense for her to give up the seat. I alighted 2 stations later at City Hall, and to my surprise, the man alighted too. Now this is really ridiculous, because from his walk, obviously he is a healthy able man, and with just 2 more stations to go, he is really really super selfish for not giving up his seat.

This priority seat thingy really makes the ugly side of Humans stand out. I won't say its Singaporeans, coz i see so many different Nationals not giving up seat too. Ang mohs, Filipinos, PRCs..so its not really a Singapore problem, its a Human flaw.

In the past, the seat nearest to the door is often the most grabbed position, people dash in jus so to grab that 'good' spot. I agree its a good spot too, becoz this spot allows u to rest ur head on the glass panel, and u get squeezed on jus 1 side instead of 2.

But now, with the 'priority seat' sticker pasted there, u see people choosing to seat anywhere BUT that seat. And everyone start heaving a sigh of relief as they have gotten the 'secure' seat. The one sitting in the 'priority seat' would seem to be the only 'chosen' one to give up his/her seat.

I have once overheard the conversation of these 2 female teens whom spoke in a strong China accent.

Gal 1: 那里有位耶,干嘛不坐啊。
Gal 2: 我不要,坐了等会儿又要让位。我才不要。

The gal refused to sit just becoz she knew if someone that needs it walk in, she wld need to give the seat up.

My goodness, what has our education brought us to?

No comments: