Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Whew...finali back from the Philippines business trip. The trip really opens up my eyes, i started to appreciate once again the beautiful green pasture of my homeland, the modern architect and even the traffic roads.
Looking at my surroundings, it was simply...grey. The buildings were old, its full of dust everywhere, there are many roadside stalls and thin, frail young ma selling small items like cigarettes along the road. I see 20-30 over people queing up at the back door of hotels early in the morning, all of them with eager look, hoping to get a job in this country that shares high unemployment rate. I see small small pkts of shampoo and rice and many other basic necessities sold nt in bulk but always in small quantity in the supermarkets, as the locals would never be able to afford to buy them in normal size.

My flight there was really bad, flight was delayed thrice, had to wait for 3 and 1/2 hours, luggage was placed in another aircraft and the staff had the cheek to inform us only after all of us from the delayed flight had already waited for 45 mins at the conveyor belt. Luckily Rachael and i had arranged for a transfer flight while waiting as our original flight was cancelled eventually.

At 6.pm Manila time, the sky was already dark, for a moment i thought it was already 8 pm. Traffic was a mess, cars and jeepneys(small bus) were everywhere. They dun really follow any road lanes, so its literally everywhere. Only managed to reach the quiet hotel room at 7.30pm.

Interviewing the trainees was a real challenge man, some were reali quiet and i felt like smacking them for wasting my time, and some were really dramatic in their articulation. Over the 3 days, i think i must have chalk up a minimum of $30 overseas call, its impossible to stop me from calling my bf especially with since i was forced to applied for auto-roaming by my parents.

Luckily there isn't time to do shopping, so my wallet is safe from personal attack. Being back safely in Singapore after 3 days, suddenly feels deeply that home is always the best.

No comments: